Michael Gerrish, M.S. is the author of The Mind-Body Makeover Project: A 12-Week Plan for Transforming Your Body and Your Life (McGraw-Hill, 2003) and When Working Out Isn't Working Out: A Mind-Body Guide to Conquering
Unidentified Fitness Obstacles (St. Martin's Press, 1999). Formerly a conditioning consultant for the Boston Red Sox and Boston Bruins, Gerrish has also been employed as a fitness director (Colonial Club - Lynnfield, Massachusetts) and professional model (Ford - Boston, 1992-1997). Currently, he is a fitness coach, psychotherapist, and certified thought-field therapist. He lives in Massachusetts.
Gerrish, who has a B.S. in Health, Physical Education, and Recreation, an M.S. in Counseling Psychology, and a Level 2 Certification in Thought-Field Therapy, received his graduate and undergraduate degrees from Springfield College, in Springfield, Massachusetts.
Michael's work has been featured in Body & Soul, Women's Health & Fitness, Women's World, Marie Claire, Natural Health, Vitality, Experience Life, Mademoiselle, Self, Oxygen, Muscle Media, Fitness, Woman's Day, Investor's Business Daily, Cosmopolitan, Real Simple, American Fitness, Muscle and Fitness, Austin Fit, the Boston Globe, the New York Times, the Columbus Dispatch, the Denver Post, the Richmond Times, the Newark Star-Ledger, the Seattle Times, the San Jose Mercury, the Chicago Tribune, the Windsor Star, the Austin American-Statesman, the London Observer, the Detroit News, New Living, Vital Cast (Here's to Your Health), and on the following Web sites:
One Spirit Book Club
- Feature story, Women's Health & Fitness (July 2004): When Diet and Exercise Aren't Enough.
- The Mind-Body Makeover Retreat at the Miraval Spa and Resort, Catalina, Arizona (June 12-17, 2004).
For details, click here.
- Cover story, Woman's World (February, 2004) featuring The Mind-Body Makeover Project and project participant Lisa Smith.
- Monthly column in Experience Life magazine (400,000+ subscribers). For a sample column click here.
- Recommended Books, Detroit News (December 17, 2003): We Wish You a Happy New Year.
- Cover/feature story, Body & Soul (September/October, 2003): Change Your Mind, Change Your Body. Seven page story about The Mind-Body Makeover Project with book excerpts, self-tests, and photos. To read the article click here.
- Book review, Frequent Flyer: The OAG, Official Airline Guide: The Mind-Body Makeover Project. To read the article click here.
- Life Makeover Retreat with Cheryl Richardson at the Miraval Spa and Resort, Catalina, Arizona (June, 2003).
- 12 Week Mind-Body Makeover Project with Cheryl Richardson (January-March, 2003).
Over 20,000 people joined us for a weekly teleclass and discussion board (with Q&A) at cherylrichardson.com. For audio recordings of classes click here. For Q&A go here. For general information about the project go here.
- 12 Week Project with Duke University: Live for Life: New Me in 2003.
- Book review, The Compulsive Reader (June, 2003).
- Natural Health (August, 2003): The Have-Fun Workout. Four page story featuring a customized exercise program adapted from The Mind-Body Makeover Project.
- Vitality (August, 2003): Using Your Mind to Change Your Body. Full page story on The Mind-Body Makeover Project with excerpts from the book.
- Special promotion, Marie Claire magazine. Twenty readers received a free copy of The Mind-Body Makeover Project (featured in the Free for You section of the magazine's April 2003 issue).
- Feature story, Experience Life (May-June, 2002): Insight Understanding UFOs .
- Feature story, Target magazine (September 9, 2001): Gym No-Nos: Break these bad habits before your next workout.
- Feature story, Detroit News (August 15, 2001): Get Back on Track. Includes review and endorsement of The Mind-Body Makeover Project.
- Book review, Austin Fit magazine (January, 2001): When Working Out Isn't Working Out.
- Book review (Editor's Choice) Medinformation.com (January, 2001): When Working Out Isn't Working Out.
- Book review: www.allspiritfitness.com. Read the review here.
- Mademoiselle (November, 2000): What's Keeping You From Getting the Body You Want?
Four page article on Unidentified Fitness Obstacles (UFOs) with a self-test, photos, and contest sponsored by Conde Nast. Two readers received a free mind-body makeover.
- Chicago Tribune (September 24, 2000): Uphill Battle: Excuses for Not Exercising are Limitless, But There Are Ways to Get on Track
- New Living (2000): Are You Trying to Be Too Perfect? Full page column about When Working Out Isn't Working Out and how perfectionism can prevent weight loss.
- Feature story, Windsor Star (2000): Overcoming Fitness Obstacles.
Full page story with photos on When Working Out Isn't Working Out
- Book review, London Observer and Zest magazine (UK, 2000): When Working Out Isn't Working Out
- Boston Globe (April 9, 2000): The Interview with Michael Gerrish. Two page interview with full-page photo in Boston Globe Magazine.
- Feature story, Mademoiselle (January, 2000): You Got Game. Five page article with quiz adapted from When Working Out Isn't Working Out.
- Monthly Q&A column for Earthstar magazine (1999-2000): Ask the Trainer.
- Book review, American Fitness (November/December, 1999): When Working Out Isn't Working Out.
- Update, Health & Medicine: Brains & Brawn.
- Oxygen magazine (September-October,1999). Bestsellers: Eight books guaranteed to educate, motivate, and improve your level of fitness. Includes review of When Working Out Isn't Working Out.
- The Daily News (July 20, 1999): UFO Sightings. Full page story with photos on When Working Out Isn't Working Out.
- Denver Post (June 27, 1999): UFOs of Exercising. Three page feature story on When Working Out Isn't Working Out with photos and excerpts from the book.
- Columbus Dispatch (June 21, 1999): When Exercise Goes Awry. Feature story on When Working Out Isn't Working Out.
- Book review, Library Journal (April 15, 1999): When Working Out Isn't Working Out. Read the review here.
- Feature story, Merrimack Valley Sunday (April 4, 1999): Exorcising Exercising Obstacles
Two page article with photos on When Working Out Isn't Working Out.
- Book review, One Spirit Book Club (March, 1999): When Working Out Isn't Working Out.
- Voice America Radio: "Using EFT to Promote Mind-Body Fitness" with host Carol Look (January, 2005). To hear a recording of the show: http://www.carollook.com/voiceamerica2/
- KYCY Radio, 1550 AM (San Francisco, CA): The Edge with Kathy Fettke (April, 2004).
- The Frankie Boyer Show with Frankie Boyer: www.frankieboyer.com.
- KKSN Radio (Portland, OR) with Joanne McCall (June 1999).
- Here's to Your Health with Deborah Ray: www.vitalcast.com